- What types of startups can take part in the UR Link program?
The UR Link program is looking for startups:
- with a structured team, a tested product and first clients
- whose solution answers the challenges targeted for the season in progress (see below)
- proposing an innovative solution and a possibility of co-development with Unibail-Rodamco
- What are the topics and challenges selected for season 2?
The selected startups must propose innovative solutions that can focus on all the commercial real estate value chain. For Season 2, we are focusing on solutions to make our shopping centers and offices more efficient, smart and in touch with communities visiting them. More details below.
- What are the start and end dates of UR Link?
Applications are opened from August 16th to September 24th 2016. Selections will take place until October 21th. For the 5 selected startups, UR Link program will start on November 2nd and end on March 3rd 2017
- Can you precise to which needs the UR Link topics answer?
UR Link addresses all the startups that develop technological or usage innovations serving retail’s consumers and Unibail-Rodamco’s properties (shopping centers and offices).
- Sustainable places: create more welcoming, efficient and eco-friendly places
- Smart buildings: how can we improve visitor’s reception, safety and property management by making our properties smarted and more connected? #energy collection #safety #cyber security #robots #facility management tech #smart mall
- Close the loop: how can we engage in sustainable actions and reduce our environmental footprint? #circular economy #recycling #secondhand #waste management
- Smart retail: how can we collect and smartly use the data available in shopping centers? #in mall analytics #big data #payment solutions #retargeting #artificial intelligence
- Urban nature & green tech: how can we answer new consumers yearning for nature and greenery in their environment? How can we reduce our environmental footprint? #urban farming #green spaces #biophilic #low carbon technology #new materials
- New urban mobility: how can we improve shopping centers accessibility and offer new services to visitors? #car sharing #parking tech #logistics #electric & autonomous cars
- Living places: how can we bring together communities and offer them new services for wellness, sports, leisure and food?
- Power of crowd: how can we surf on the recent collaborative consumers trend? How can we attract new communities to shopping centers? #crowdfunding #crowdsourcing #peer-to-peer #C2C
- Conviviality: how can we encourage visitors to spend more time in shopping centers and come more often with their friends and families? #communities #foodtech #events #children & families
- Social tech: How can shopping centers play a part in citizens’ life and improve their human impact in their direct environment? #education #employment #senior tech #civic tech
- People in motion: How can we transform shopping centers in places fit for wellness and health? #sport #wellness #leisure
- New art of working: How can we adapt shopping centers and offices to consumers’ new ways of working (collaborative, slashers, nomadism)? #collaborative places #coworking #smart offices
- What are the important dates of the selection process ?
- 2016, September 24th: closing of online applications
- October 11-12th: semi-finals at the Mixer, Unibail-Rodamco’s Innovation center in Paris
- October 21th: final at the Mixer
- November 2nd: program launch
- Who are the members of the final selection committee ?
The final selection committee will consist of members of Unibail-Rodamco’s top management and innovation center and external partners from the innovation ecosystem (entrepreneurs, investors, experts).
The presentation in front of the selection committee will take the form of a 5 min pitch + questions/answers during 10 min.
- When will the selected startups be announced after the final ?
The results will be made official during the week of October 21th 2016.
- What are the major phases of the UR Link program ?
The 4-months program is divided into three main phases:
- Month 1 : connection between the selected startups and Unibail-Rodamco’s decision makers (sponsors and operational) ; definition of the needs, objectives and calendar
- Months 2 et 3 : collaboration of the startups and the operational decision makers to co-develop the use case (test, POC)
- Month 4 : review of the collaboration phase, definition of the collaboration follow-up and preparation of the demo-day closing the program
- What will an average week look like during the UR Link program?
Several weekly meetings will punctuate the program:
- 1to1: review of the progresses and definition of the roadmap of the week for each startup
- Progress update between the startups and the operational decision makers of Unibail-Rodamco
- Workshop on topics tailored for the selected startups needs: contract law, preparation for fund-raising, management…
In addition to these regular appointments, other events will be organized punctually: conferences, testimonies…
- Which resources will be provided to the startups during the program?
- A sponsor from Unibail-Rodamco’s top management, which will follow the startup and make sure that startups and the Unibail-Rodamco’s teams collaborate well together
- An operational decision maker who will work as a duo on the co-development of a use case
- Unibail-Rodamco’s commercial real estate experts available according to the startup’s need
- Technical experts and mentors from NUMA’s ecosystem, based on the startup’s needs
- Regular workshops conducted by experts from Unibail-Rodamco, NUMA and recognized partners
- Exclusive events throughout the 4 months
- Where does the UR Link program take place?
The selected startups will be hosted for free at THE MIXER, Unibail-Rodamco’s innovation center, located at 7 Place du Chancelier Adenauer 75016 Paris.
- What is the maximum of persons that can be hosted in the context of the program?
3 persons per startup can be hosted full-time in THE MIXER’s premises during the 4 months of the program.
- Is the attendance of all the team members required during the whole program?
The whole team doesn’t have to be physically full-time attending at THE MIXER during the 4 months of the program. Nevertheless, the founding team should be here at least 1 day a week.
- What are the commitments of the startups entering the program?
The 5 selected startups will have to sign the partnership convention that organizes the collaboration during the program. A 2-weeks trial period following the start of the program will allow each either party to notify of its potential wish to stop the journey, without notice.
- What does the program imply in terms of exclusivity, intellectual property?
- Intellectual property: all the elements developed during the program by the startup remain the property of the startup, while Unibail-Rodamco will retain exclusive ownership of the data made available to the startup during the program.
- Exclusivity : the participation in the UR Link program is associated with an exclusivity vis-à-vis Unibail-Rodamco’s direct competitors (commercial real estate companies, Hammerson, Klepierre,..) until two months after the end of the program
- Preferential rights: until 6 months after the end of the program, if the startup gets a collaboration proposition of a Unibail-Rodamco’s direct competitor (commercial real estate companies, Hammerson, Klepierre,..), the startup must inform Unibail-Rodamco about it.
- Which form will take the investment provided by Unibail-Rodamco?
- No equity will be asked as a program participation. Nevertheless, Unibail-Rodamco will have a preferential right of information if a selected startup raises fund during the next 9 months after the end of the program.
- In option, Unibail-Rodamco would provide a 50k€ financing at the beginning of the program, in exchange for an equity option which will take the form of securities giving access to the startup share capital, in the form of BSA (stock warrants). This optional financing would have to be activated in the first 15 days of the program.